12.02.2005

Tap Tap Tap

To continue from the previous post...Due to the location of my chosen spot this year, I had to walk out of the blind to meet my ride back to camp. Normally, I wait until ten minutes or so past sunset to move out. There is just enough light to see without using my flashlight, and the early dusk shadows tend to confuse the deer when I move.

I headed towards the feed pen to make sure the coyote carcass was well out of the way before moving on. I noticed off and on that afternoon several javelina working the corn in the pen. I laid off shooting them for fear of scaring the bucks on the opposite road. There were about five of the smelly bastards as I walked up, and they didn't notice me moving up on them.

I slung my rifle for the long walk out, and as I came up on the pigs, I instinctively drew Roscoe. This is probably the first recorded instance in my life where I drew to engage a target not made of paper since training began with the Tac Tuesday group. From thirty feet away I was able to pick out the biggest javelina in the bunch. Still not mindful of my presence, they continued to graze the corn in the road. I was walking a worn dirt track, and my footfalls were very quiet. I was within twenty feet and brought Roscoe up to fire when my radio broke static.

"Hey guys, I'm headed over to #10 to check the feeder level," the radio cried out. My friend, Jimmy, thought it would be nice to announce his travel plans back to camp. The javelina broke for cover, safer for not knowing how close they came to be target practice.

I related this story over a beer at dinner to the rest of the camp. They all laughed and wondered why I didn't use my rifle. All things considered, I had no thought of using the rifle. When I saw the javelina wandering the roadway, I reacted and drew my pistol without conscious thought. I am quite positive that the training I have received in the past months had something to do with my actions. I was also curious to see just how my new TAP rounds would work on living flesh. Everybody said these Hornady rounds are particularly brutal, and I wanted to see for myself.

Well, there will be another trip down there in a few weeks. Just in time for the rut. Maybe I'll get another chance.

No comments: