1.04.2006

New Year's Resolutions

I haven't given this much thought lately. I really don't like resolutions because they have never really worked for me. I promise to do this, or I resolve to be better at that...yadda yadda.

This year is going to be a different one for me. For one thing, I am married and need to put my childish past behind me. This is the year of the house, and the baby raising and settling down. The longer I wait to do that, the less time I will have to enjoy it. I have to focuse on we and not me.

My Resolutions are as follows:


  • get back in shape. I have committed to ride the MS 150 from Houston to Austin this year. I took last year off from riding to focus on other things. To get back to my fighting weight, I need to drop about 40-50 pounds. I am currently at 260+ and am suffering from a case of Dunlop disease. Not a fun thing to hear my wife call me biscuit boy.
  • get an education. I signed up online to get my accounting credits out of the way. I need 12 hours of accounting to move into a junior lender position at the bank. This way, I get the training needed and can move into another higher paid position.
  • buy a house and start a family. Pretty self explanatory there. The wife and I have been searching for a small house or townhouse to move into within the next year. We also want to start a family ASAP, but her new job and other financial problems have prevented us from doing so earlier.
  • Continue to write the next Great American Novel. I started to write a short piece of fiction last month and it snowballed into a larger story. With a little patience and some pixie dust magic, I hope to complete it inside of a year and then spend the next revising it before I attempt to have it published.
  • BECOME FINANCIALLY STABLE!!! This is important for me. I want to be free from debt and start saving money. I actually started reading Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" and have heard his show on the radio from time to time. I was able to implement his debt reduction plan right before Christmas and paid off one credit card inside of six weeks. With my first paycheck of the year on the 15th, I will go right back to the plan and use every last nickel in the seat cushions to pay the last $6000 off in the next year.

As I clear each hurdle, I will gladly post on it. I also hope that my three readers will kick me in the rear and encourage successful completion of my New Year's Resolutions.

1 comment:

ProsperCouple said...

Shooter,

Great resolution list (especially the last one). I hope you enjoy Dave's book and reach out to other books and resources from there to make your resolutions reality! Happy New Year!

-Jeff & Heather