Saw the rest of the world commenting on their five fave planes and thought I'd chime in.
5. A-1 Skyraider. Affectionately known as the Spad. You had to have some 20lb. brass balls to get down and dirty with this bird. It served well in Vietnam where close air support was the flavor of the day.
4. P-51 Mustang. The Cadillac of the skies. This was the star of WWII. If I'm ever reincarnated as a plane, this is the one I want to be.
3. SR-71 Blackbird. From what I've heard, I don't think the SR-71 has ever been to 100% full throttle. Nothing but a dot on the horizon. And some of the best lines for an aircraft around.
2. A-6 Intruder. Made famous in Stephen Coonts' book "Flight of the Intruder." Venerable workhorse of the U.S. Navy during Vietnam. I've always had a love for this plane. Something about it is just lovable.
1. A-10 Thunderbolt. A.K.A. The Warthog. Ladies and gents, this is not a plane, but a gun with wings. Seriously, it was designed around the 20 mike mike Vulcan cannon running down the centerline. Anytime someone says redesign the nose gear so the big gun can fit...you know you got a formidable plane.
***I was corrected on the A-10. It has a 30mm GAU Cannon, not the 'wussified' 20 mm you see on the 'other' planes.