11.27.2008

Thankful

Five Things I Am Thankful For This Year:
My beautiful daughter, "Windage." She is the apple of my eye. I will go to the ends of the earth for this young child. I will stop at nothing to insure her happiness, and protect her from all that may cause her harm with every fibre of my being.
My wife of four years, "Swede." We met on March 10th, 2000, and have been together ever since. I knew she was someone special from the first moment I laid eyes on her. Not because she was staring at my butt (as I like to say how we met), but because she saw through the barroom b.s. and found the real me. I love her more now than ever that she bore our child and is a wonderful mother to us both.
Our family. It is growing exponentially. I am an uncle to two step-children of my older sister, OC. They are wonderful, if not sometimes rambunctious, kids. I am so happy my sister has found a man worthy of her love and affection and kids to match. I am also an uncle to a beautiful baby living in Sweden. Swede's brother and his wife have a wonderful daughter (one month older than Windage, whom I'll call Baby Bjorn). Our friends have children, others are getting married, and it's getting to the point that we'll all need nametags to keep up with each other. Aside from that, I've managed to catch up with many of my friends from college, high school, and grade school on FaceBook, too.
Employment. I have a job, and so does Swede. We are fortunate to be able to pay our bills while the world slowly crumbles apart around us. This means I can keep putting food on the table while working a job that I enjoy doing daily. We are going to see more hard times ahead, and the belts will get tighter. I will work to provide for my family, and keep doing so if it means I have to dig ditches day in and day out.
I'm thankful for where I live. These United States...The Great State Of Texas...The Wonderful City Of Houston.... I don't know that I could live anywhere else. I have wonderful neighbors, family and friends. Sure, we get the occasional storm to wreck things, but who doesn't have a quirk or two in their hometown? It is what you make of it. I feel a great connection to this part of the world. In a way, we all have a special bond to where we call home. Even if home is on the road in a Kerouac sense, by a lake a'la Thoreau, or wherever you lay your head at night. I'm thankful that I have a place to call home...someplace I can proudly say I'm from.
Lastly, I'm thankful for this outlet to project my thoughts. I'm thankful that there are people who will listen (read) what I have to say. We are also a community...in a sense, a home...that comes together for nothing more than the chance to be who we are. Our common bond is the freedom to speak our minds. I'm thankful for those of you that listen to me, criticize (and even laugh) at me, and have reached out to help. Thank you.

May the Good Lord Bless You and Keep You Free From Harm. Blessings on Your House and Family this Christmas Season.

-Shooter Out.

1 comment:

Ambulance Driver said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Shooter!