2.05.2009

Moving On

So, it is about time I move on from this job. It has not panned out, so to speak.

I've been with Brink's Technologies as a Builder Rep for the last six months. It was a good job to start, but the economy and Hurricane Ike took a big bite from my sales. It is tougher than I thought working on straight commission, but I gave 100% of my time and effort to this job. Now, I have to find new digs and fast to keep the household income sufficient to pay our bills. Not that we'd starve or be out in the cold on Swede's pay, but we've got the one extra mouth to feed now.

It will be nice to see some regular hours now. I get to be home at decent hours to see and play with Windage. Even as a LEO, I'm sure I'll have better hours and downtime with my family. As it is now, I am home after 8pm most days, and even on Saturdays and some Sundays. No breaks for me. I have to keep moving to generate income.

What killed me the most was all the money I earned went straight into repairs for my truck. The urban assault vehicle is not what it used to be. Just yesterday, the antenna broke, again. My rear axle is starting to slip on acceleration (bad gears, I think), and I think there's a problem with one of the pistons (knocks and pings).

I've put in applications to a couple of police departments this week. I'm gonna go the route of LawDog and MattG. Hopefully, all will go well and I can make it to an academy class by late summer. I've always had a fascination with the law. When I was younger, I thought following in dad's footsteps would be my goal. Alas, practicing law as an attorney does not appeal. I'm more interested in the practical application of criminal and civil law. I think it is in my nature to be a service-oriented person. To help others that need it, and those that don't.

I'm working very hard to get in physical shape. I started on a workout program designed to help shed pounds to get me in line with height/weight proportions. I'll detail more about that tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have to tie up loose ends, finish some appointments on the schedule, and bite down to sell a couple of guns from the inventory. I'll do whatever I can to save as much of the inventory as I can, but I may even have to sell Swede's Kimber TLE/RL. Hopefully, I can get them back after a time if the Anointed One doesn't clamp down on the 2a. I'll do everything I can to keep the Rock River in the safe. Once I am a licensed peace officer, I think the AR will come in handy.

No comments: