2.23.2012

Like a Boss!

Visited a good friend before shift yesterday. You'd have thought I was a long lost relative the way he greeted me. Before I could blink, he had me wrapped in a bear hug.

Humbling to say the least.

I think I have more reason to be proud of him than vice versa (US Navy Vet, Cancer Survivor, Father of 2, Husband, Successful Business Owner).

We met back in 2009 when I went through the SEAL PT Bootcamp in Memorial Park. He was that instructor that everyone enjoyed to hate. He kept us moving hard, but always mentally engaged. When he found out my desire to become a police officer, he did what he could to help me improve physically. And when he caught me slacking...I felt like I did when my dad read a bad report card. He never yelled or screamed like some PT instructors would. He just had a way of making me feel lower than pond scum. It worked. I busted ass harder when he was around. Still do.

Anyway, back to this bear hug thing....

We keep up through texts and facebook almost daily. He's been busy with a new business venture, and I've been busting ass at the new department. I promised I would drop by and show off the uniform and badge for him and his wife.

It was like my dad on my wedding day...coach after a homerun...my parents meeting their grandchild for the first time. You could see the pride on his face; feel it in his handshake. Even after he suggested at one point I move on to something else (after the eleventy-umpteenth decline letter), he knew I wasn't going to quit.

This was a shining moment for both of us. The culmination of almost three years hard work and labor.

I am proud to call him my friend. He is a friend in the truest sense of the word. I don't want to disappoint.

Thank you "DT" for all your help. And especially your friendship.

No comments: